The Nevada Independent

Your state. Your news. Your voice.

The Nevada Independent

Nevada political operatives to cooperate with Jan. 6 congressional panel

Humberto Sanchez
Humberto Sanchez
CongressGovernment
SHARE

Nevada-based political operatives Dustin Stockton and Jennifer Lynn Lawrence plan to cooperate with the congressional committee investigating the causes of the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol, Stockton said Monday.

“We have chosen to cooperate despite serious reservations about whether the Committee’s intention is on following the facts wherever they lead,” Stockton said in a text en route to Washington. “It’s important to us that the hundreds of thousands of people who did not participate in any violence have their voice heard in the official proceedings.” 

Last month, the committee issued subpoenas calling on the couple to provide documents and appear for depositions. Stockton's deposition is scheduled for Tuesday with Lawrence scheduled for Wednesday. 

Stockton and Lawrence, his fiancée, helped organize a series of events with Women For America First, which ended with the rally in Washington on Jan. 6 near the White House, according to the congressional panel. President Trump and others gave heated, impassioned speeches at the rally, falsely stating that the 2020 presidential election was fraudulent. Many rally attendees made their way to the Capitol on that eventful day.

“We have as much interest and desire as anybody to get to the bottom of the tragedy at the Capital [sic] nearly a year ago because it has tarnished the peaceful protests we worked so hard to put together,” Stockton continued in the text message. 

Stockton and Lawrence contend they played no part in the insurrection attempt. 

“To be clear, we had nothing to do with the planning and were not present at the attack on the Capital [sic],” he wrote.

Stockton and Lawrence's decision to cooperate with the panel come as other high-profile national figures in the former president’s orbit have opted not to do so.

The committee is slated to hold former Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows in contempt of Congress Monday evening. 

Meadows initially sought to cooperate, but had a change of heart after the panel sought his phone records from his mobile carrier. He is now suing the panel and Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) to block that subpoena.

That’s despite him turning over a cache of documents that included an email in which Meadows said that the National Guard would be present to “protect pro Trump people” in the lead up to the insurrection.

The full House is expected to vote on the Meadows contempt resolution Tuesday. The House voted in October to hold former Trump advisor Steve Bannon in contempt after he refused to cooperate.

Last month, Bannon pleaded not guilty to criminal charges of ignoring the panel's subpoena. The trial is set to begin on July 18. Bannon faces two counts, including one for his refusal to appear for a deposition and another for refusing to provide the committee documents. 

If convicted, he could serve between 30 days and a year in prison on each charge, and face up to $100,000 in fines.

SHARE
Comment Policy (updated 4/20/2021): Please keep your comments civil. We reserve the right to delete comments or ban users who engage in personal attacks, use an excess of profanity, make verifiably false statements or are otherwise nasty. Comments that contain links must be approved by admin.
7455 Arroyo Crossing Pkwy Suite 220 Las Vegas, NV 89113
© 2021 THE NEVADA INDEPENDENT
Privacy PolicyRSSContactJobsSupport our Work
The Nevada Independent is a project of: Nevada News Bureau, Inc. | Federal Tax ID 27-3192716