The memorandum comes in response to a Supreme Court decision in June in which justices upheld the program — ruling that President Donald Trump rescinded it in an arbitrary and capricious manner in 2017 — and kicked the issue back to the administration to do things differently. The decision gave DACA recipients across the country hope for a long-term and secure future in the U.S.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford says he has joined a coalition of states including New York and Colorado, in a lawsuit against President Donald Trump’s memorandum to exclude undocumented immigrants from being counted in this year’s census.
The report found that Las Vegas provides limited infrastructure to serve immigrant families, despite the large population of immigrants in the city, and limited coordination among immigrant-serving organizations to disperse information and communication regarding the public charge rule.
Frustrated community members and immigrant rights organizations that warned about the spread of the virus among inmates say the outbreak was preventable and want to see more changes made to mitigate the situation.
As DACA recipients savor the moment, the Supreme Court’s decision belies a tougher reality — that the program remains a temporary fix to a problem that has remained a political football for nearly two decades.
The 5-4 ruling — somewhat unexpected for immigrants rights advocates who had been bracing for the end of the program that defers deportation and allows participants to work legally in the U.S. — means the program will survive for now.
Latino essential workers continued to work as COVID-19 spread through their communities, an attributing factor to the current disproportionate rates of infection of COVID-19 and deaths caused by the virus among the population across the state.
In Las Vegas, Velasquez found work cleaning peoples’ homes — until the coronavirus outbreak. She stopped working in mid-March out of concerns for her own health and those of the families whose homes she cleans. Her husband, a construction worker, hasn’t been able to work since mid-February because of a work-related injury.
The Supreme Court is expected to rule within the next few weeks and as early as Monday on the legality of the Obama-era program, and hosts of the town hall were pessimistic that the conservative-majority high court would rule favorably for beneficiaries.
The motion for a temporary restraining order was filed in federal court in Nevada on Tuesday. It raises concerns similar to those the ACLU expressed last week about the risk of coronavirus transmission in Nevada prisons and jails.
After several attorneys, law and interest groups sent a letter to officials of the ICE Salt Lake City field office on Tuesday urging the agency to suspend field operations and release non-mandatory detainees, ICE announced on Wednesday that it would delay enforcement for “those who are not public safety risks.” The federal agency has not addressed whether it will implement alternatives to detention for non-mandatory detainees and for those who are considered to be high health risks to COVID-19.
The Department of Homeland Security announced Monday that it is implementing a rule allowing the federal government to deny entry or legal status to an immigrant if officials deem the applicant is “likely at any time to become a public charge” — a move that has prompted questions from Nevada immigrants about whether they should withdraw their children from government food and health care programs.
After about 10 minutes of questions from the governor on whether the company would be working with ICE and whether approving the contract would run afoul of legislation banning private prison companies from providing core correctional services in Nevada, the board voted to approve the agreement. Ford said he was satisfied with the answers he got that the centers would advance criminal justice reform.
The suit comes after Lombardo announced in October that his agency would stop participating in the so-called “287(g)” jail-based partnership with ICE, and honoring holds, following a federal court in California’s ruling on the issue. Adame-Reyes’ lawyers said they worry that Lombardo could go back on his word, based on what they described as a begrudging promise to end the agreement.
Immigrant rights activists are filing a lawsuit against the the City of Las Vegas over its policies of keeping people behind bars for extra time solely on suspicion that they may be in the country illegally.
Cortez Masto and Rosen also pointed to other issues within the private detention center, including the death of an inmate who was apparently strangled by another inmate and the on-site suicide of an employee. They are asking for an investigation into matters including employee screening and how closely the Pahrump site is monitored for compliance to the terms of its federal contract.
According to officials from Reno, the city’s letter to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo consenting to refugee transfers falls in line with the values and policies of the city and “is simply a renewal of what Reno has been doing for years.”