The front door of Wynn Resort as seen on the Las Vegas Strip on Monday, Jan. 29, 2018. Daniel Clark/The Nevada Independent

Las Vegas police have received two reports about billionaire casino mogul Steve Wynn in the wake of a Wall Street Journal article last month detailing allegations of sexual misconduct against the recently deposed businessman, a police department spokesman said Monday.

One of the reports is a complaint filed three days after the Journal article ran from someone currently living in St. Louis regarding a sexual assault alleged to have occurred in Las Vegas in the 1970s, Metro spokesman Larry Hadfield said. The matter will go through the investigative process but if the statute of limitations has expired — 20 years for sexual assault in Nevada — the case will have to be closed, he said.

“Sexual assault is a significant crime. I think it’s important to say that we would take this seriously, investigate everything and get all the facts before turning away the person,” Hadfield said. “This isn’t like a car being stolen.”

Police took a second courtesy report on Feb. 5 alleging another crime by Wynn occurred in Chicago, also in the 1970s, he said. The department will forward that complaint along to the appropriate authorities in Chicago since it is outside the department’s jurisdiction, Hadfield said.

Asked whether Wynn has been contacted by police in either Las Vegas or Chicago, Wynn Resorts spokesman Michael Weaver said the company has no comment. Wynn’s attorney could not be immediately reached for comment.

Hadfield said he had no idea about Metro coordinating with the Nevada Gaming Control Board and “running point” on reports potentially involving criminal investigations, as detailed in a Wall Street Journal article. He said if gaming regulators were to come upon a crime that they do not investigate, they would refer it to the proper jurisdiction, be it Metro, Henderson Police Department or another law enforcement agency.

The Gaming Control Board opened an online portal Monday afternoon for people to submit voluntary, confidential statements regarding any publicly announced investigation, which would include the one into the allegations of sexual misconduct against Wynn. Board chairwoman Becky Harris said the volume of phone calls into the board’s offices in Las Vegas and Carson City in the wake of the Wynn allegations was “disruptive” and the board needed a new mechanism for the public to communicate information.

Individuals with information to convey to the board are asked to provide a name and email address along with their statement, which the board suggests include any relevant dates and locations. It also includes a box for individuals to write in which investigation their statement relates to and to indicate whether the board has permission to contact them about the statement, along with a disclosure that the information will be kept confidential in accordance with Nevada gaming law.

Wynn, 76, stepped down as the head of Wynn Resorts last week even as he has maintained that the idea he assaulted any woman is “preposterous.” Wynn said that he could not continue to remain effective in his roles of CEO and chairman under what he described as an “avalanche of negative publicity.”

The Journal article last month detailed behavior by Wynn that it said “cumulatively would amount to a decades-long pattern of sexual misconduct.” Wynn has accused his ex-wife Elaine Wynn of instigating the allegations, which her lawyer has denied.

In addition to the Gaming Control Board’s ongoing investigation, regulators in Massachusetts and Macau have each taken up their own probes into the allegations. Wynn Resorts’ board of directors canceled its outside investigation into Wynn’s conduct last week, which was a part of its own, separate internal investigation into the allegations.

Disclosure: Wynn Resorts and the Elaine P. Wynn and Family Foundation have donated to The Nevada Independent. You can see a full list of donors here.

From the Editor

The Nevada Independent is a 501c3 nonprofit. We have generous corporate donors, but we can’t survive on those alone. We need support from our readers. I know you have many commitments. But if you would support our work (or bump up your current donation), we would be forever grateful.
Best,
Jon Ralston
Donate Now
get our morning newsletter,
the daily indy
Correct Us
Ideas & Story Tips
Stars & Struggles
Take a peek into today's education world through the lens of Sunrise Acres Elementary School in Las Vegas.

INDYMATTERS

    CAFECITO CON LUZ

      EN ESPAÑOL

        INDY BLOG

          @TheNVIndy ON TWITTER