Police secure the Las Vegas Strip on Tuesday, October 3, 2017 following a deadly shooting that took place at the Route 91 concert late Sunday night. Daniel Clark/The Nevada Independent

President Donald Trump says Las Vegas will receive $1 million to cover overtime costs for law enforcement officials responding to last week’s mass shooting on the Strip, but Democratic Rep. Dina Titus is requesting more.

Trump tweeted Wednesday afternoon that he was “Happy to announce we are awarding $1M to Las Vegas – in order to help local law enforcement working OT to respond to last Sunday’s tragedy.”

But Titus wrote a letter Thursday asking Attorney General Jeff Sessions for more, noting that overtime costs for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department alone are estimated to be over $2 million so far.

“I respectfully request that you award additional grant funding to the State of Nevada to fully cover the overtime costs incurred by our local first responders as they responded to this tragedy,” she said. “Thanking you in advance for your consideration of the request.”

The grant money will come from emergency response funds within the Bureau of Justice Assistance, a subsidiary of the U.S. Department of Justice. It will flow to the Nevada Department of Public Safety, although it wasn’t immediately clear how that state agency would distribute the funds.

“The grant funds announced today recognize the hard work and dedication of law enforcement officers across Las Vegas and the State of Nevada, who worked tirelessly in the wake of the tragic shooting last week,” the DOJ said in a statement. “The Justice Department is continuing to work with Las Vegas officials to address law enforcement and public safety costs related to this tragedy.”

Trump visited Las Vegas a few days after a gunman at the Mandalay Bay casino opened fire on an outdoor country music festival, killed 58 people and injured nearly 500.

Vice President Mike Pence also visited Las Vegas over the weekend.

Lawmakers including Democratic Rep. Jacky Rosen and Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, as well as Republican Sen. Dean Heller, said they applauded the grant.

“I’m incredibly proud of our first responders who ran toward violence and chaos and undoubtedly saved many lives,” Heller said in a statement. “As our community continues down the long road toward recovery, it’s important that Nevada has the resources it needs to rebuild and I’m committed to working to make sure of it.”

This story was updated at 5:30 p.m. on Oct. 12, 2017 to add information from Rep. Dina Titus and other members of the congressional delegation.