About Last Week: UNR student photographed at violent Charlottesville demonstration, City of Reno sued for sexual harassment

Editor’s note: Seven days. Never enough hours.
Stacks of paperwork at the office and piles of laundry at home. It’s a never-ending cycle, which makes it difficult to stay on top of the endless news nuggets flowing from the White House, state capital, local government, and business community. We get it — and we’re in the news business.
Enter “About Last Week.” This is our way of bringing news-hungry but time-strapped readers up to speed on happenings that may have flown under the radar. Our promise: We’ll keep it brief. Our hope: You’ll read (or skim) and keep checking back every Monday.
So, without further ado, here are some noteworthy things that happened in Nevada last week.
UNR student at violent Charlottesville protest elicits response from university, Heller
A 20-year-old University of Nevada, Reno student photographed at a white nationalist protest in Charlottesville, Virginia over the weekend and subsequently went viral on social media has elicited a furious backlash and at least one response from a Nevada elected official.
Photographs of Peter Cvjetanovic spread like wildfire on Twitter throughout the weekend and received tens of thousands of shares on social network, following a day of violent demonstrations in Charlottesville that left dozens injured and one woman dead.
Cvjetanovic said in a Facebook message to The Nevada Independent on Saturday that he attended the rally as a way to “honor our heritage,” and that he extended condolences to the family of the victims, “for whatever that's worth.”
“I did not go there to commit acts of violence, and that was not the goal of the rally, and no one was meant to be killed,” he said. “The man who drove the car into the group of people and killed someone should be punished to the full extent of the law. I do not care which side he was on.”
Following an immense outcry, UNR President Marc Johnson issued a statement on Sunday denouncing the rally and reiterating that the university was dedicated to the “safe, peaceful expression and exchange of ideas on our campus.”
“We denounce any movement that targets individuals due to the color of their skin, their religious beliefs, political beliefs, sexual orientation, ability/disability, or whether they were born in our country," he wrote in a statement. “As an institution, we remain firm in our commitment in denouncing all forms of bigotry and racism, which have no place in a free and equal society.”
A photograph of Cvjetanovic alongside Republican Sen. Dean Heller even prompted a response from the state’s senior senator, who said he didn’t know the student and condemned the “outrageous racism, hatred and violence.”
I don't know this person & condemn the outrageous racism, hatred and violence. It's unacceptable & shameful. No room for it in this country. https://t.co/6yQqKZRowb
— Dean Heller (@SenDeanHeller) August 13, 2017
— Riley Snyder
City of Reno sued over sexual harassment
Two former Reno city employees have filed a civil lawsuit against their former employer, alleging that the city failed to “timely and adequately investigate” sexual harassment allegations made against former city manager Andrew Clinger.
The suit also publicly reveals the names of two of the three women whose complaints helped lead to the departure of Clinger last year, and who was hired as a senior advisor to Gov. Brian Sandoval in January. All three women resigned from the city last year.
The suit largely reiterates claims made against Clinger publicized in independent investigations conducted by the city, including that he rubbed one of the defendant’s thighs during a meeting and sent sexually explicit messages.
Reno City Attorney Karl Hall told the Reno Gazette-Journal that the allegations were without merit, and that his office, not an outside firm, will handle the case. The city has already spent more than $220,000 investigating the complaints.
— Riley Snyder
Former Assemblyman Harvey Munford in for City Council
A longtime Democratic Assemblyman who was termed out of office following the 2015 legislative session says he’ll run for a seat on the Las Vegas City Council in 2019.
Democrat Harvey Munford told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that he plans to run for the Ward 5 seat in 2019, which is currently held by term-limited Councilman Ricki Barlow.
Also in the council race is Cedric Crear, an advertising executive who also serves on the Las Vegas Planning Commission and is a former member of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Board of Regents.
Munford considered running a primary campaign against state Sen. Kelvin Atkinson during the 2016 election, but ultimately decided to sit it out. His son, Stephen Harvey Munford, ran instead and lost to Atkinson by 67 percent to 33 percent.
— Riley Snyder
Back to class for Clark County students
The Clark County School District welcomes students back to class today under a new reorganization model that’s supposed to empower principals, staff and parents.
As part of the reorganization, the school district announced last week that it had promoted Dr. Greta Peay as the chief instructional services officer. Peay has worked in the school district since 1987, most recently as director of the Equity and Diversity Education Department.
In her new role, Peay will continue to oversee the EDE department, but she’ll also serve as a liaison to the superintendent for a group that’s examining how the district can give schools more autonomy — the driving force behind the reorganization.
“I am thrilled that Dr. Greta Peay has accepted the position of chief instructional services officer to help oversee the continued effort to provide schools with more autonomy and to ensure that all students have the opportunity to succeed at CCSD,” Superintendent Pat Skorkowsky said in a statement. “Dr. Peay has been an outstanding leader for the district and she and her staff in Equity and Diversity have done a tremendous job of moving CCSD forward in areas of cultural understanding and bullying.”
— Jackie Valley