The Nevada Independent

Your state. Your news. Your voice.

The Nevada Independent

Indy Resource Guide: How to contact your elected officials

Kristyn Leonard
Kristyn Leonard
Tabitha Mueller
Tabitha Mueller
Clark County Commissioners during a meeting on Tuesday, Aug. 20, 2021. (Jeff Scheid/The Nevada Independent)

Public officials work for their constituents – the people who live in their city, district or state. However, it is impossible for officials to know all the problems of those they represent. The best way for Nevadans to communicate their needs to public officials is to engage with them.

Almost all public offices have a contact form or publicly accessible phone lines and email addresses designed to allow the public to provide information, feedback and thoughts. Below, we provide contact information for federal, state and local officials in Nevada. 

Scroll through this guide for ways to contact your representatives, templates to help you effectively communicate with public officials and other information about engaging with elected officials in the state of Nevada.

Contacting a public official

When you reach out to a public official about an issue, it’s vital to contact the office that can actually address your concerns. Each level of government has jurisdiction over different issues, but they can overlap. 

Find examples and a short description of what each level oversees below. If you’re unsure of where responsibility should fall, start at the local level and work your way up.

Here’s what’s overseen by elected officials at…

A federal level

Nevada’s six congressional delegates are the best point of contact if you have a concern about federal policies or legislation being considered in the House or Senate. Additionally, our representatives and senators have employees responsible for constituent services who can help with things like Social Security benefits, navigating the IRS and veterans benefits.

Contact your representative or senator if your complaint involves:

  • Federal laws or legislation
  • Federal grants
  • Veterans services
  • Social security, Medicare and Medicaid and other national services
  • Immigration issues
  • Issues with the IRS, Small Business Administration and other federal agencies

While senators preside over the entire state, if you choose to reach out to a representative, you must contact the member who represents the district in which you reside. You can figure out who that is here

A state level

Nevada’s state government includes ‘constitutional officers’ elected statewide and the Legislature.

Nevada’s Legislature allocates spending and taxes among the different levels of government, establish and reform statewide laws touching on criminal justice, elections, health care and other policy areas.

Contact state lawmakers if your issue concerns state law or there is something you’d like to change that falls outside of the purview of a county or city government.

To determine which legislators represent you based on your address, use this tool, and for more information how to participate in Nevada's legislative sessions, click here.

Nevada has six constitutional officers: governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, secretary of state, treasurer and controller. Click the arrow for specific information on what is overseen by each office:

The governor is the head of Nevada's executive branch and is constitutionally granted the "supreme executive power of this State." This person has the power to approve or veto bills, grant pardons, fill certain vacancies and call the Legislature into session, and is considered the commander in chief of the state's military forces.

With the duty of preparing the state's two-year executive budget every other year, the governor wields immense power in setting the agenda and state priorities. In times of crisis, such as the pandemic, the governor can invoke sweeping emergency powers, including setting a statewide mask mandate.
The lieutenant governor is first in the line of succession to the office of governor in case of the governor's death or permanent incapacitation. This person also serves on several boards and commissions, including chairing the Nevada Commission on Tourism.
The attorney general is Nevada's chief legal officer, and represents the people of the state in civil and criminal matters before trial and appellate courts in Nevada and in the federal system. The office also provides legal advice to state agencies and officers through numerous deputy attorneys general with specialized expertise, and can help county, local or national law enforcement agencies in investigations or court cases.

The attorney general's office also has several divisions focused on areas such as consumer protection, Medicaid and insurance fraud, and takes the lead on joining and negotiating Nevada's position in major multi-state lawsuits and settlements.
The secretary of state is responsible for maintaining the official records of the state's executive and legislative branches, but the office has a wide variety of other functions and responsibilities. It's charged with overseeing state elections, which includes certifying candidates, maintaining voter registration records, certifying ballot questions and reporting campaign finance records.

The office also handles the registration of the several hundred thousand business entities in the state, and collects the associated business license fees. Other responsibilities within the office include managing, training and overseeing state-licensed notaries, regulating the state's securities industry, and maintaining the state registry of living wills, advanced medical directives, and a list of ministers and clergy.
The treasurer serves as the state of Nevada's chief financial officer, overseeing about $7 billion in state investments. The office also accepts, safeguards and disburses all money received by the state and allocated through the state's budget.

The office has several divisions, including ones focused on unclaimed property, college savings accounts and the Millenium Scholarship for college-bound Nevada high school graduates. Though the job deals with state money, the treasurer does not have a direct role in creating the state budget or setting tax policy.
The controller serves as the chief fiscal officer of the state, meaning this person is responsible for administering the state's accounting system, registering vendors, settling claims against the state and collecting any debts owed to the state. The office also provides citizens and government agencies with financial information. The controller does not have any special authority in developing the state budget or setting tax policy.

A county level

Every Nevada county is required to have a commission. A county commission’s size depends on population, but the minimum number of members is three. County commissioners are responsible for overseeing “matters of local concern,” such as property taxes, law enforcement and housing, though there is some lack of clarity around who has the authority to implement policies such as rent control. A full list of the general powers of a county commission is available here.

Contact county officials if your complaint involves:

  • A county ordinance
  • Conduction of an election
  • Property taxes
  • Short-term rentals (AirBnB, etc.)
  • County property including streets, parks, recreation centers and bridges
  • County planning and zoning

Though it’s counted as one of the state’s 17 counties, Carson City is technically considered an independent city. Information on its board of supervisors can be found in the city level section.

A city level

Incorporated cities in Nevada must have elected mayors and city council members. The number of members varies depending on city population. These officials oversee matters that affect a specific city, such as trash collection, police and fire protection. A full list of issues overseen at a city level is available here.

Contact city officials if your complaint involves:

  • A city ordinance, resolution or order
  • City property including streets, parks, libraries and sidewalks
  • Public works issues including sewers and sanitation, drainage and water projects
  • Traffic, parking or parking meters
  • Issues involving animals (animal abuse and cruelty, sale of animals, pounds, etc.)
  • City planning and zoning

In cities divided into wards, it may be necessary to contact the council member presiding over your specific address.

What to say when contacting your elected officials:

  1. Introduce yourself and include something personal, such as whether you live in their jurisdiction, if you feel comfortable doing so
  2. Describe the issue you would like to discuss
  3. Make a specific request
  4. Conclude your message and include contact information so they can follow up

Example for a city-level approach:

Hello, my name is Jane Doe and I’m a constituent and voter living in Las Vegas with my two children.

There is a giant pothole in the middle of our neighborhood that has not been filled and poses a danger to drivers and pedestrians. Just the other day, while my children were on a walk, a car almost hit them because it was trying to avoid the pothole. 

Could you please send out a road construction crew to fill the pothole? If you’re not the correct person to reach out to, then who would be best to contact? 

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.


When commenting in public meetings, follow the same format, be sure to include the spelling of your first and last name and be mindful to keep your comments within any time restrictions set by the public body.

Hello, my name is Jane Doe, spelled J-A-N-E D-O-E. I’m a longtime resident of Las Vegas and I’m requesting the city fill a giant pothole in my neighborhood.

The pothole poses a danger to drivers and pedestrians and has been there now for almost a year. Just the other day, while my children were on a walk, a car almost hit them because it was trying to avoid the pothole. 

Could you please send out a road construction crew to fill the pothole? 

Thank you.

Click the arrows for contact information

Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto
Office phone numbers:
Las Vegas: (702) 388-5020
Reno: (775) 686-5750
Rural Nevada: (775) 225-1457
Washington, D.C.: (202) 224-3542
Contact form

Sen. Jacky Rosen
Office phone numbers:
Las Vegas: (702) 388-0205
Reno: (775) 337-0110
Washington, D.C.: (202) 224-6244

Rep. Dina Titus, CD1
Office phone numbers:
Las Vegas: (702) 220-9823
Washington, D.C.: (202) 225-5965
Contact form

Rep. Mark Amodei, CD2
Office phone numbers:
Reno: (775) 686-5760
Elko: (775) 777-7705
Washington, D.C.: (202) 225-6155
Contact form

Rep. Susie Lee, CD3
Office phone numbers:
Las Vegas: (702) 963-9336
Washington, D.C.: (202) 225-3252
Contact form

Rep. Steven Horsford, CD4
Office phone numbers:
North Las Vegas: (702) 963-9360
Washington, D.C.: (202) 225-9894
Contact form
Included below is the contact information for statewide officers.

Governor Joe Lombardo
Office phone numbers:
Carson City: (775) 684-5670
Las Vegas: (702) 486-2500
Request a meeting with the governor
Online contact form

Lt. Gov. Stavros Anthony
Office phone numbers:
Carson City: (775) 684-7111
Las Vegas: (702) 486-2400
Email: [email protected]

Attorney General Aaron Ford
General Comments Phone: (775) 684-1100
Email: [email protected]
Consumer Protection Hotline: (702) 486-3132
Online complaint form
(Use this form if you believe you have been the victim of fraud, deception or an unfair business practice)

Secretary of State Cisco Aguilar
Office phone number: Phone: (775)684-5708
General email: [email protected]
Online complaint form
(Use these forms for election laws, business licensing and registration, the notary division and other issues under the jurisdiction of the secretary of state)

Treasurer Zach Conine
Office phone numbers:
Carson City: (775) 684-5600
Las Vegas: (702) 486-4140
Email: [email protected]

Controller Andy Matthews
Phone: (775) 684-5750
Email: [email protected]
State debt collection department email: [email protected]
(Reach out to the debt collection department for concerns about debts owed to state and local agencies, boards and commissions)
Churchill County Commission
Deputy Clerk to the Board Pamela D. Moore
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (775) 423-4092
Commissioner contact information

Clark County Commission
Phone: (702) 455-3500
Commissioner contact information

Douglas County Commission
Commissioner contact information

Elko County Commission
Phone: (775) 738-5398
Commissioner contact information

Esmeralda County Commission
Commissioner contact information

Eureka County Commission
Commissioner Administrative Assistant Jackie Berg
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (775) 237-7211
Eureka County Clerk Recorder
Email: [email protected]

Humboldt County Commission
Phone: (775) 623-6300

Lander County Commission
Commissioner contact information

Lincoln County Commission
Commissioner contact information

Lyon County Commission
Commissioner contact information

Mineral County Commission
Phone: (775) 945-2446
Commissioner contact information

Nye County Commission
Commissioner contact information

Pershing County Commission
Phone: (775) 273-2342
Administrative Assistant Karen Wesner
Email: [email protected]
Commissioner contact information

Storey County Commission
Phone: (775) 847-0968
County Manager Austin Osborne
Email: [email protected]

Washoe County Commission
Commissioner contact information

White Pine County Commission
Phone: (775) 293-6509
Email: [email protected]
Las Vegas Mayor and City Council
Email form
Mayor Carolyn Goodman
Phone: (702) 229-6241
City councilor contact information

North Las Vegas Mayor and City Council
Phone: (702) 633-1007
Mayor and city councilor contact forms

Henderson Mayor and City Council
Contact form

Reno Mayor and City Council
Mayor Hillary Schieve
Phone: (775) 334-2001
Email: [email protected]
City councilor contact information

Sparks Mayor and City Council
Mayor Ed Lawson
Phone: (775) 353-2311
Email: [email protected]
City councilor contact information

Carson City Board of Supervisors
Phone: (775) 887-2100
Supervisor contact information

Elko Mayor and City Council
Mayor Reece Keener
Phone: (775) 777-7101
Email: [email protected]
City councilor contact information

Featured Videos

7455 Arroyo Crossing Pkwy Suite 220 Las Vegas, NV 89113
Privacy PolicyRSSContactNewslettersSupport our Work
The Nevada Independent is a project of: Nevada News Bureau, Inc. | Federal Tax ID 27-3192716