Staff telecommuting and remote learning will continue the rest of this semester in the Clark County School District, per a message Monday evening from Superintendent Jesus Jara.
The announcement follows a Clark County School Board meeting Thursday that resulted in no action on the district’s 205-page transition plan to in-person learning. The board opted to table a vote given surging coronavirus cases and Gov. Steve Sisolak’s plea for Nevada residents to stay home as much as possible right now.
Jara previously had indicated the transition plan could come before the trustees as soon as their Dec. 10 meeting, but that timeline appears pushed back again. The superintendent’s message on Monday noted that staff would bring the transition plan to trustees “in early January 2021 for their consideration.”
The new timeline means the reopening decision will fall to a largely revamped school board. Three newly elected trustees — Lisa Guzman, Katie Williams and Evelyn Garcia Morales — will be sworn into their new roles at the Jan. 4 school board meeting. They will be replacing, respectively, Deanna Wright, Chris Garvey and Linda Young, who are termed out at the end of this year.
Board President Lola Brooks won reelection in the general election, so she will be returning for a second term.
During a media call on Friday, Jara said negotiations regarding the transition plan continued with the Clark County Education Association, which is the bargaining unit for teachers. He also said the plan would remain a hybrid model because of health and safety guidelines, but staff would be making tweaks based on school board and community feedback.