Citing personal reasons, the state superintendent of public education is resigning from his position effective next month.
In a release sent Friday by Gov. Steve Sisolak’s office, Steve Canavero said he was resigning in two to take another position in the education field with a better work-life balance, and his departure was “not related to any position or policy of Gov. Sisolak’s administration.”
“Nevada should be proud of the improved student outcomes across the state as well as the honest recognition of the challenges we face and the earnest work to address them,” he said in a statement. “To play a part in the transformation of our education system has enriched my personal and professional life.”
Canavero was appointed by former Gov. Brian Sandoval in February 2016 to lead the state’s Department of Education, which oversees the state public education system and makes up a significant percentage of the state budget. Canavero’s resignation is effective Feb. 6, after the start of the 120-day legislative session.
In a phone call, Canavero said he began to re-assess his priorities during the uncertainty of the gubernatorial transition. He said Sisolak never asked him to leave.
Canavero previously served as the deputy superintendent at the department and was the first director of the State Public Charter School Authority. He said he’s most proud of improvement in state test scores, a new emphasis on helping students make a smoother transition into the career world, and the department’s focus on equity.
Sisolak wished Canavero well.
“I want to thank Dr. Canavero for his service to our state and Nevada’s students,” Sisolak said in a statement. “I am thankful for his years of leadership at the Department of Education and wish him the best in all future endeavors.”
At least seven of the 20 publicly announced appointments made by Sisolak were originally appointed by Sandoval.
This story updated at 6:30 p.m. on Jan. 25, 2019 to add comment from Canavero.